Dear Asheville Off Road Series Participants,
Thank you all for your continued patience, we know you all have been anxiously waiting to find out if the race is a go/no! We are athletes too and so we take canceling an event VERY SERIOUSLY. Please know we do not take things lightly when considering cancelation of any event and we have remained optimistic and hopeful all week for the possibility of the hurricane effects not reaching our area until the beginning of next week. We have been busy planning, prepping, loading trailers and moving supplies and getting things ready as if the event is happening all week. We did not want to cancel the event on a potential ‘threat’ so waiting until we have gotten closer to event day has allowed us and all the entities involved in the planning and operations of the event to see what is probable for conditions on Sunday.
After much discussion and communication with the contacts from the Buncombe County Rescue Services and Biltmore Estate and our other race partners, we have decided to cancel Sunday’s event. Logistically we could not make another date work with everyone involved. While producing the race is very important to us, our participant’s safety is always our highest priority. With the State of Emergency issued for the county, and the potential for continued unrest this weekend, the risk to our participants, volunteers, and vendors is unacceptably high. Our race course includes several areas that are prone to quick flooding in the event of heavy rain. At this time the local resources that we would typically have at the event have many other larger priorities in our state to prepare and tend to. It is impossible to predict how those resources will need to be utilized this weekend.
We know you have been training for this race and are disappointed about missing the opportunity to participate and compete. While we do have a no-refund policy, we’re happy to let you know that we have several options for you that will hopefully appease the disappointment of not being able to participate in the race this weekend.
Please read the following carefully:
#1 We will have packet pickup at the DoubleTree Hotel in Biltmore Village as scheduled on Saturday, September 15th from 1-4pm. At packet pickup we will have your super comfy race shirts, goody bags, bib and Biltmore tickets and any merchandise you may have pre-purchased.
While you are in the Biltmore Village area on Saturday, stop by Mtn Merch at 22 Lodge Street with your race bib and get 10% off any purchase in their store! They have all kinds of awesome ASHEVILLE related merchandise from local artists and crafters.
#2 Biltmore Tickets are typically only valid for the race date on the ticket, however, Biltmore will extend the date for race ticket usage until October 31, 2018. Your race ticket is good for entry to the grounds of the estate. To upgrade your race ticket to a House visit or an annual pass you will need to stop by one of the Guest Service Stations on the estate by October 31, 2018.
What happens with my race entry?
While we cannot issue a refund for the event, we do have several creative options that we would like to extend to you. You may choose ONLY ONE of these options from the following choices:
Option 1: We have a couple upcoming events this year that you may transfer your paid entry into. If you choose this option, the deadline to transfer is Friday, September 21 at 5pm EST. No transfers will be accepted after that. Complete this form to transfer your entry HERE. Unfortunately, due to the uncertainty of the event happening in 2019, we cannot transfer entries into that event next year. Due to the ownership of other events we manage, we are unable to transfer your entry to other 2019 events on our schedule.
- Trick or Trail and Spooky Sprint at Dupont State Forest on Saturday, October 20th
- New Year’s Resolution Run 10 mile & 5k Run/Walk - Downtown Asheville on New Year’s Day
Option 2: We know you all are fit, trained and ready! So we are creating a ‘Virtual Asheville Off Road Race’! To participate you will need to do the following:
- Sign up here!
- Complete the distance of the event in the discipline that you were signed up to race from wherever you live and train.
- We will give prizes to the overall and age group winners in the same categories as planned and posted for the AVL Off Road Series in each event.
- In order to be eligible you must do your own virtual race from Sunday, September 15th thru Sunday, September 23rd at midnight. We will not accept any results after this date/time.
- You must submit a Strava or Garmin Link or another virtual tracking platform of your choice and results to this online form after completion and by Sunday, Sept. 23rd at midnight. In order to be eligible for prizes and awards - we must see your name/data/distance/time and data!
- If you picked up your race bib at packet pick-up, feel free to wear it while you do the Virtual Race! Post your photos with your bib on the Asheville Off Road Series Facebook page and on Instagram with the #AORS hashtag.
- Early next week we will tally the results, announce winners and award our prizes.
Please note: We understand that this virtual race will not have the same terrain, elevation and or surfaces as you would find during this event. However, we want to offer this opportunity to everyone regardless of whether they have gravel roads, paved roads, treadmills, bike trainers or trails accessible to complete this virtual race challenge. We also realize there may be an unfair advantage over one or the other. However, we want this to be FUN, a challenge and an opportunity for you to push yourself and/or complete your goal of the distance as you would on race day. We will not police or monitor the location or means that you choose to do your virtual race. However, we will not allow e-bikes or electronic assisted means of transportation for this virtual race. You must use your bike or you feet for this event! We hope everyone can understand and support this as we are limited to what restrictions we can impose in this regard.
Do nothing with your entry.
- Can I get a refund? Unfortunately, we cannot offer a refund. All the expenses for this event are pre-paid and have already been incurred regardless if the event takes place or not.
- Can I get my shirt and Biltmore ticket mailed to me? Yes, pre-registered participants that registered by the shirt deadline and/or paid for a race shirt that are from out of town can have their shirts mailed to you for free. We will cover the costs of shipping these shirts to you. Please complete this Free Shipping Form for your shirt and Biltmore Ticket. If you are in the local area, we would ask that you plan to come to packet pickup Saturday to pick up your shirt or come to our office next week on Wednesday, Sept.19th from 11am-3pm to pick yours up. Our office is located at 240 Old Airport Road, Fletcher, NC 28732. Deadline to ship shirts and tickets for free is Sunday, September 23rd at midnight. After this date you can pay for shipping through our online store.
- What if I ordered a commemorative medal, jersey, or pottery? Will you mail these items to us? If you are in the local area, we would ask that you plan to come to packet pickup Saturday to pick up your items or come to our office next week on Wednesday, Sept.19th from 11am-3pm to pick yours up. If you are from out of town, we would be happy to mail these items to you however, due to the cost of shipping these heavier items there would be a shipping fee required to pay for these items to be mailed. Pay for Shipping Here.
Again, your safety is our absolute highest priority, and we thank you for understanding that this decision regarding the Asheville Off Road Series was not taken lightly. We deeply appreciate your support and regret any inconvenience. Please contact us if you have any questions. We look forward to seeing you at another iDaph event soon!
- iDaph Team