Jump Off Rock Half Marathon & 10K
One of the fastest downhill half marathons in the south!
Saturday, May 8, 2021
Hendersonville, North Carolina
An endurance running event like none other, the Inaugural Jump Off Rock Half Marathon presented by Hunter Subaru, will be one of the fastest half marathon races in the south and will run “downhill to downtown.”
The point-to-point, half marathon begins at Jump off Rock, a national landmark and the Town of Laurel Park’s highest peak, and finishes in the heart of downtown Hendersonville on Main Street. This gently downhill and scenic 13.1 mile course is not only fast, it also has breathtaking views. Half Marathoners will wind their way downhill through the beautiful back-roads of Laurel Park then on historic city streets and around Hendersonville’s Osceola Lake before heading into downtown Hendersonville. The point-to-point race and the scenic course are sure to bring PRs and mountain memories to last a lifetime.
10k runners will start their race at the base of the Town of Laurel Park at the Hendersonville Family YMCA. They will join in on the half marathon route at about the half-way point with half marathoners. The 10k route is moderately flat with a couple gentle rollers. The 10k runners will run on historic city streets, around the Hendersonville’s Osceola Lake and back to downtown Hendersonville.
Both races will finish at the same location in Historic Downtown Hendersonville on Main Street.
Course time limit is 12:30pm.
Rolling wave starts 7:30 am until 9:00 am.
Runners will sign up for a wave start time when registering. We highly encourage runners/walkers that want to enjoy the scenery and take their time during the race to start in the first or second wave to make the time cutoff.
Half Marathon is capped at 300 runners.
Rolling wave starts 9:00am until 10am.
10k is capped at 200 runners.
Course Type: Half Marathon, majority is paved with one short downhill section that is packed dirt in Laurel Park and around Osceola Lake is packed dirt surface. 10k is all paved surfaces on city streets and around the lake is packed dirt. See course info below.
Stroller friendly? Yes
Registration Periods & Pricing
Early: Feb 1-Feb 7
Regular: Feb 8-March 7
Late: March 8-April 30 (if available)
For runners not able to attend in person, the virtual race is a good option to achieve a goal, and run the miles on your own, wherever and whenever you want. All virtual runners will receive a commemorative race shirt and finisher medal.
Free T-shirt deadline: (in-person runners)
Wednesday, March 31, 2021
After this date, shirts will be available online for $10 during online registration, limited sizes.
What is included with your race entry:
• A first-class running experience in the late spring in Western North Carolina!
• An in person, safe and socially-distanced race with rolling, wave starts
• A scenic, fast, downhill half marathon course and a moderately flat, 10k route in the heart of Hendersonville, NC.
• Optional Shuttle ride to half marathon or 10k start line (these are 2 separate locations).
• Free parking available for race participants at the Dogwood Parking lot in downtown Hendersonville.
• Course fully-marked with route signs and course markings on the road.
• Course preview video and course maps to get you prepped for race day.
• Chip-timing for accurate results
• Access to our community of runners in our Strava Group.
• Spectator friendly courses with designated cheer stations
• One-of-a-kind Prizes made locally
• Part of the ‘Love Hendo’ downtown kick-off for the summer, with various amenities available in downtown Hendersonville on race day. Love Hendo offers closed downtown streets on the Historic Main Street, which allows convenient access to fantastic food, drinks and local merchandise in downtown.
• Access for our participants to attend the world-class, Hendersonville Farmers Market happening a few blocks away from the finish line. The Farmers Market offers farm fresh foods, crafts, food trucks, live entertainment and more!
Super-cool swag including:
• Unique Inaugural Finisher Medal
• Super comfy, custom-designed t-shirt
• Goody Bag
And more perks with details coming soon!
RUN 13.1 x 3
We are thrilled to launch the new 13.1 x 3 series for 2021, the Appalachian Trilogy! Sign up for the Asheville Half Marathon (March 20), Jump off Rock Half Marathon (May 8) & Black Bear Half Marathon (Oct. 9), and receive a gorgeous gold commemorative, Appalachian Trilogy medal. We will also have some super, cool swag to go along with this new challenge to keep you motivated to train all year long! More info HERE!
Our events look different this year, and will for a long time. Here’s what we are doing to adhere to North Carolina’s COVID-19 guidelines and maintain social distancing.
Our events look different this year, and will for a long time. Here’s what we are doing to adhere to North Carolina’s COVID-19 guidelines and maintain social distancing.
The Jump off Rock Half Marathon & 10k has final permits approved by the City of Hendersonville.
The Jump off Rock Half Marathon starts at Jump off Rock, a national landmark and the Town of Laurel Park’s highest peak, and finishes on downtown streets (closed to traffic) in the heart of Hendersonville, NC. The 13.1 miles of scenic paved and packed dirt roads has breathtaking views and awe-dropping overlooks. Runners will wind their way downhill, ‘down to downtown,’ and then will run on mostly flat paved roads though city streets Historic neighborhoods. There is a short packed dirt section downhill through Laurel Park and around Osceola Lake. The route has a couple small roller hills in the later parts on the route. Half Marathoners will get to run on back-roads, parallel to the Laurel Park Scenic Hwy, through Historic downtown neighborhoods, around the Hendersonville’s Osceola lake and then will finish on Main Street in Historic downtown Hendersonville, North Carolina. With a net elevation LOSS, road runners will LOVE getting a PERSONAL BEST on this fast course in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
The 10k route starts at the ‘base’ or bottom of the Town of Laurel Park. Runners will join in on the half marathon route at approximately mile seven. 10k runners will run on a moderately flat with a few gentle rollers course. The majority of the roads are paved, but around the lake the road is packed dirt surface. The route runs through historic neighborhoods and around the perimeter of Hendersonville’s Osceola lake and then finishes in the heart of downtown Hendersonville on Main Street.
Both courses are point-to-point, meaning they have a separate start and finish area. Both courses are spectator friendly and ‘city’ running friendly.
** Both courses are subject to minor tweaks and changes.
Watch the Course Preview!
We will provide refreshments along the course, but do encourage you to bring your own fuel, nutrition and refreshments so that you can stay socially-distanced throughout the entire event. Gatorade, Water, Energy Gels and CLIF Bars will be provided. Due to COVID-19 we are unable to provide fruit and unpackaged food at the water station. Each water station will have portajons with hand sanitizer nearby. Check course map for exact locations.
This half marathon and 10k has been designed with your family and friends in mind! We have several spots along the course that we have designated cheer stations. Costumes, fun signs and lots of great energy and encouragement is a must! Limited parking is available at these spots. All spectators are required to social distance and wear a face covering. Check course map for exact locations.
Rules for the Jump off Rock Half & 10k
• All participants are expected to display courteous, professional behavior at all times.
• No rollerblades allowed.
• All participants and spectators must adhere to all safety and COVID guidelines put in place for this event.
• Runners must run facing traffic on roads that do not have sidewalks. If there are sidewalks available, runners need to utilize the sidewalks.
• Please be courteous to other foot traffic along the route and in downtown Hendersonville.
• Due to the nature of the event - no dogs will be allowed.
TRANSPORTATION, PARKING & Directions
KEY POINTS TO KNOW:
- The Half Marathon Starts at the top of Jump Off Rock (NO parking available)
- The 10k starts at the Hendersonville Family YMCA (parking available)
- BOTH races finish near Mast General Store on Main Street, between 5th and 6th Avenue
- All participants can ride the shuttles FOR FREE before and after the event
- All runners can be dropped off by car at their respective start lines if they don’t want to ride the shuttles
- If you are being dropped off at the Half Marathon start, please follow Laurel Park Scenic Highway to the top, or you will be interfering with the race.
Half Marathon Runners:
- To get to the start line, you can either…
- Park downtown and take the shuttle to the top of Jump Off Rock
- Or, have a friend or family member drop you off at the the top of Jump Off Rock (Spectators are NOT allowed to linger at the start line or get out of their cars for any reason).
- After the race…
- If you parked downtown before the race to catch the shuttle, the finish line will lead you right back to your car.
- To get to the start line, you can either…
- Park at one of the designated parking lots near the start line (Hendersonville Family YMCA) and walk to the start,
- Park downtown near Main Street (the finish line) and ride a shuttle to the start line,
- Park downtown near Main Street (the finish line) and walk to the start line,
- Or, have a friend or family member drop you off at the start line.
- If you parked downtown to take the shuttle before the race, the finish line will lead you right back to your car.
- If you parked near the YMCA (start line), you can take the shuttles back to your car after the race.
- If you parked near the YMCA (start line), you can walk from the finish line back to your car
SUPER AWESOME SWAG
You’ll receive a free, super-cozy and soft, commemorative short sleeve t-shirt if you register by Wednesday, March 31 at midnight! After this date, shirts are available on a limited basis through online registration for $10.
Support LOCAL events and our community by purchasing one of these super-sweet, soft and stylish RUN LOCAL, RUN WILD, RUN FREE shirts! Snag yours online during registration. We will not order ‘extras’! So if you want one, buy it online during registration!
Support LOCAL events and our community by purchasing one of these super-sweet, soft and stylish RUN LOCAL shirts! Snag yours online during registration. We will not order ‘extras’! So if you want one, buy it online during registration!
Run a half marathon or 10k on your own time! Virtual participants will have access to the course information for the event so they can have a ‘self-serve’ event experience on the same courses as the in-person runners. Or, they can come up with their own course anywhere! Virtual participants get to challenge themselves by participating and having a goal to work towards.
Virtual Event Highlights:
• All Virtual participants will receive a free shirt and super-cool finisher medal, which will both be mailed.
• Participants in the virtual event can make multiple attempts to improve your half marathon time! Results must be submitted via Race Roster online and are due online by midnight on Sunday, May 9, 2021.
• Prizes for overall winners.
Pickup will be drive-thru style on Friday, May 7th from 2-7pm at the Hendersonville Family YMCA. Please stay in your car during the packet pickup process (just like you would at a drive-thru restaurant). Registration closes at the end of Friday’s packet pickup.
Registration must be done online at home. There is no on-site registration.
There will be NO Packet pickup or Registration on Race day. You may have a friend or family member pick up your packet on Friday if you aren’t able to make it or have it mailed to you.
Not able to make it in time to packet pickup? No worries. Have your packet mailed to you if you register by April 18th at midnight for only 10 bucks! Choose this option when you register online.
IN-PERSON EVENT AWARDS (Half Marathon & 10k)
- Special Edition Black Bear at Jump off Rock print by local artist Amy Cocanour for Overall and Age Group Winners
- Fleet Feet Asheville & Kilwins will also provide Gift Certificates to the overall and masters winners.
Top three finishers, Overall (male and female)
Top overall 1st place finishers, Masters (male and female)
Age group awards (top three overall male and female for each)
12 and under, 13-19, 20 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 - 49, 50 - 59, 60 - 69, 70 - 79, 80 and up
We will not have an on-site awards ceremony at the event due to COVID19 event gathering restrictions. Prizes and Awards can be picked up the week after the event at Fleet Feet Asheville or shipped for $10.
VIRTUAL EVENT AWARDS (Half Marathon & 10k)
Overall male and female finishers in the Virtual Event will also receive a Black Bear at Jump off Rock print.
To encourage social distancing, our awards ceremony will take place via Zoom on Tuesday, May 11th at NOON.
Age group and overall award winners will receive a print of a Black Bear & Jump Off Rock drawn by local artist and athlete Amy Cocanour.
“A retired Coast Guard officer, triathlete, and rower, Amy and her husband Spence (a retired Air Force officer and triathlete) moved to Asheville in 2017. After a 35 year hiatus from art, she discovered colored pencil in 2018 while taking a class in the River Arts District. Animals at the WNC Nature Center, where she volunteers, were her original subjects. Notecards made from her drawings can be found in their gift shop. Check out her Facebook site, “Amy’s Artwork”, to see more of her work!” https://www.facebook.com/Amys-Artwork-107769371057057/
POST RACE ACTIVITIES/celebrations
The Jump off Rock Half Marathon & 10k is proud to be part of the ‘Love Hendo’ downtown kick-off for the summer. Love Hendo offers various amenities that will be available in downtown Hendersonville on race day for our runners and friends and family. Love Hendo offers closed downtown streets on the Historic Main Street, which allows convenient access to fantastic food, drinks and local merchandise in downtown.
Our participants will have full access to attend the world-class, Hendersonville Farmers Market happening a few blocks away from the finish line. The Farmers Market offers farm fresh foods, crafts, food trucks, live entertainment and more!
MORE INFO COMING SOON!
All runners get $1 off ice cream at Kilwins on the race day! Just show your bib at the main street Hendersonville location!
Arabella Breakfast & Brunch is offering Free Coffee to runners pre & post race! They are right on Main Street at the finish line! You can also pre-order a post-race meal! Get all the info and put in your order here: https://forms.gle/piMaDrtu7f4EJtt88
THINGS TO DO IN HENDERSONVILLE
Hendersonville Farmers Market
The Hendersonville Farmers Market will be happening on the day of the Jump off Rock Half Marathon & 10k! This is a world-class market that contributes to the success of local producers and growers, expands access to farm-fresh foods, and creates a vibrant community gathering space. With fresh produce, meats, baked goods, crafts, live entertainment, food trucks, and more, it’ll be a weekly outing with something for everyone.
The Hendersonville Farmers Market is located at the Historic Train Depot (650 Maple Street) in downtown Hendersonville’s Seventh Avenue District, within walking distance of Main Street and the finish area for the race.
Time: Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
For more information visit https://www.hendersonvillenc.gov/events/hendersonville-farmers-market.
Looking for something to do in Hendersonville? Escape from life’s hectic pace to the beautiful scenery and southern hospitality of Hendersonville, NC with varied Attractions, Events, Outdoor Recreation, Family Activities, a vibrant Art Scene, unique shopping and a wide selection of Dining Options. Sierra Nevada along with Henderson County’s other Wineries, Breweries, and Cideries provide tours and tasting rooms, to sample mountain grown selections. Make memories in this charming mountain town.
Check out the following links for more information:
Accommodations / https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/business-categories/lodging
Attractions / https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/attractions
Outdoor Recreation / https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/business-categories/outdoor-adventures
ABOUT JUMP OFF ROCK
After driving a curvy mountain road up to the 3,100-foot summit, find a small park with a stone overlook, benches and several short hiking trails. It’s a short, level walk to the view, so a great place for those with mobility issues to enjoy similar summit views that hikers enjoy. A sign helps you identify mountain peaks like Mt. Pisgah and Cold Mountain. It’s a popular place to watch the sunset. Bring a blanket for a picnic on the grass or a good book.
t’s certainly a romantic view, complete with a tragic legend of a young Cherokee Indian maiden receiving word that her young Indian chief had been killed in battle. So she climbed to the edge of the rock and jumped off. On moonlit nights you can supposedly see her ghost on rock.
Park Address: 4433 Laurel Park Hwy, Laurel Park, NC 28739. From downtown Hendersonville, take 5th Avenue West to Laurel Park. It’s about 30 miles south of Asheville (allow 45 minutes to drive).
RUNNING FOR A GOOD CAUSE
Donations from the Jump off Rock Half Marathon & 10k will benefit the Hendersonville Family YMCA. We look forward to having the Y community as a part of this new annual event.
Hendersonville Co-op is matching $1000 in donations made to the Y through online registration!
To encourage social distancing and to avoid groups gathering at the start and finish line, your friends and family members are invited to go out on the courses in our socially-distanced, designated cheer zones. We ask that EVERYONE in the CHEER zone please stay socially distanced and wear a face-covering! Maps for each cheer zone are posted on the Event Guide and emailed to all participants prior to the event.
COVID-19: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Event is capped at 500 total participants, with limited participant wave starts.
- Wave starts, capped at event gathering limits for each wave.
- These wave starts will be determined by the guidance from NC on event gatherings.
- COVID screenings & Temperature checks will be conducted on race day prior to running.
- We highly encourage you to bring your own hydration water bottle and nutrition. However, we will have a water station to stop for fuel - serving - water, Gatorade, Gels and Granola Bar.
- All finishers will receive a Commemorative Finisher Medal!
- Online registration will close Friday, May 7th at packet pickup - make sure to sign up before then!
- Designated Social-Distanced Cheer Stations along the course!
- No walk-up registration or packet pickup on race day. Can’t make it to packet pickup? Have your shirt and race number mailed to you.
- Coordinated social distancing at the start line, with wave starts.
- All staff/volunteers are required to wear a face-covering during the duration of the event.
- Participants are required to wear a face-covering until the event starts and then put it back on after they are finished running/walking in the event. If at any time a participant is within 6 feet of another person, they are required to put on a face covering.
- Unfortunately, with social distancing measures in place, we will not have a finish line ‘experience’ of music, hanging out and waiting on the results or an awards ceremony. After you are finished with your race, we ask that you disperse and roam around the downtown Hendersonville area.
- Awards will be available to be picked up locally or mailed after the event.
- Event Swag can either be picked up locally the day before the event (at packet pickup), or mailed to you for $10. If you don’t think you can make it to packet pickup on Friday, please select to have your race number and shirt mailed to you when you register. There is NO Race day packet pickup or registration!
- All virtual event registration includes swag that will be mailed to you for free (shirt, medal).
- The online results will be posted by noon the next day after the event.
- Other changes will be added and communicated to participants prior to the event.
- Registrants under the age of 16 are required to have run in races previously, a half marathon ideally. If you want to register someone under the age of 16 please email email@example.com with any questions.
- As we all know the pandemic changes things quickly! We ask that you be flexible and patient as we may have to adjust things for this event up until the event takes place. Please know we are doing our absolute best and want this event to happen as much as you do! In the event that the U.S. or NC government, Henderson County or City of Hendersonville declares a new stay-at-home order or places new restrictions on gatherings and we are not able to have the in-person event, all ‘in-person’ event registrations will automatically be converted to the Virtual event.
DEFERRALS, TRANSFERS AND CANCELATION POLICIES
Above all else, we are striving to make this event as safe as it can possibly be for all our participants, volunteers, and staff. If you’re feeling unwell (or uncomfortable participating), we want you to be able to stay home, stay safe, and join us next year without feeling like you’re losing out. In order to make that happen, we are offering flexible options so participants can make responsible decisions based on their health.
Here are our options for registered participants who can’t make it to the race:
DEFERRALS: Anyone can defer their entry to the 2022 event at any point before Sunday, April 18th at midnight. There is a $25 deferral processing fee. To complete your deferral, select the option from our race store. Any requests after that date will not be able to be honored. If you choose this option you would be withdrawing from the event and would not be able to receive your swag or finisher medal.
TRANSFER FROM IN-PERSON TO VIRTUAL: You can transfer your in-person registration to a virtual registration for free at any point before the start of the race (Saturday, May 8th at 7:30 AM).
REFUNDS: We are opening registration at the beginning of February 2021, approximately 3 months away from the race. Due to the event taking place within such a short period of time, we will not be able to provide refunds in the unlikely cancellation of the event. Registration for the event waives your right to any refunds.
CANCELLATION: As we all know, the pandemic changes things quickly! We ask that you be flexible and patient as we may have to adjust things for this event up until the event takes place. In the event that the U.S. or NC government, Henderson County or City of Hendersonville declares a new stay-at-home order and we are not able to have the in person event, all ‘in person’ event registrations will automatically be converted to the Virtual Event, with a possibility of ‘self-serve’ virtual option. If there are new limits on gathering restrictions set forth by the state of NC, we will adjust the wave start times to accommodate this limit and proceed with the event if possible. If the race gets switched to a virtual event you will receive a $20 discount code coupon for the 2022 event, free transfer into the Virtual Event, and your swag (shirt + medal). These items can be picked up locally or mailed for free if you are from out of town.
For instructions on how to transfer your registration to into the virtual event, CLICK HERE.
We are thrilled to support the Echo Mountain Inn & Restaurant a boutique inn located in Laurel Park, North Carolina. The Inn is 3 miles from downtown Hendersonville and at 2,700 feet altitude and is halfway up the mountain to Jump Off Rock. They have 26 rooms available to rent, serve delicious hot breakfasts every morning, and run a full-service restaurant on-site. Originally built as a home in 1896, this year marks our 125th anniversary, and they love to continue to welcome guests into the legacy. Located in the mountains overlooking the beautiful town of Hendersonville, NC, they are an excellent option for those looking for a peaceful place to rest and recharge.
For pricing information, room options, full-amenity information, and to book a room, please visit our website at echomountaininn.com or give us a call at (828) 693-9626.