Virtual Asheville Triathlon
New for 2020! Virtual & Self-Serve Event Experience Option
Want to do a triathlon on your own time? Participants who choose the virtual option can swim one day, run on another day and bike a totally different day. Or, you can do them all at once like you would at a triathlon event! Virtual participants will have access to the course information for the event so they can have a ‘self-serve’ event experience on the same courses as the in-person participants. Or, they can come up with their own courses anywhere that they live!
Virtual participants get to challenge themselves by participating and having a goal to work towards this summer. This is a super fun way to try a triathlon on your own time, without worrying about the transition. Virtual participants can participate anytime starting June 19th thru August 31st.
Virtual Event Highlights:
• Shirts will be available on a limited basis for just $10! Your finisher medal and swag will be mailed to you for free after the race!
• Download the official playlist and jam to it on your course (below)
• Download Personalized Bib
• Track your completions
• Upload Results to event results page
• Download finisher completion certificates
• Access to our Strava Club for this event
CLICK THE VIRTUAL BUTTON ABOVE FOR MORE DETAILS!
iDaph Events is excited to once again bring back this popular fast & fun sprint triathlon!
The race consists of a 400 meter swim, a 12.5 mile bike course and a 5K run course. These distances make this sprint triathlon great for every level of triathlete, from novice to elites. Novice + Beginner tri-athletes love this race! Elite athletes – get ready for a PR!
This race is fast and is a huge hit among local elites.
NEW FOR 2020: NEW LOCATION!
This year the Asheville Triathlon will take place in Patton Park, Hendersonville, NC! DIRECTIONS TO PATTON PARK
Patton Park is run by the YMCA of Western North Carolina and owned by the City of Hendersonville. The park consists of 400m pool swim, 12.5 mile bike and 5k run! The bike and run will use parts of the beautiful Oklawaha Greenway.
The 400 meter swim takes place in Patton Pool, an Olympic sized 50 meter lap pool with 8 lanes. We will space the swimmers in time trial starts. THIS IS NOT LIKE PAST EVENTS! EACH SWIMMER MAY NEED TO START A MINUTE AFTER THE SWIMMER IN FRONT OF THEM TO ALLOW ENOUGH DISTANCE. Participants will have a time trial start with plenty of time between each swimmer and will be organized in wave starts according to their estimated 100 yard swim time. Swimmers will flow in one direction in the lane.
The 12.5 mile bike course rolls through the quiet and beautiful Oklahawa Greenway in the City of Hendersonville, exits the Greenway and flows along a ‘rolling’ course through Henderson County countryside roads. Cyclists will return to the park by way of the Greenway and back to the transition zone.
The 5k run is FAST and for the most part-flat, except for one little dipper hill that you will crest before entering back to the park. The entire 5k run is on the quiet, shaded and beautiful Oklahawa Greenway in the City of Hendersonville. The section of the greenway used for this event will run towards Jackson Park. There will only be a short section where the bike/run overlap. The route is an out-and-back, lollipop course, with one ‘self-service’ water station at the halfway point. We do encourage you to bring your own fuel, nutrition and refreshments for this event.
What we are doing to ensure safety at our events concerning COVID-19
Triathlon governing bodies have deemed it appropriate to host a triathlon event in the event that the venue and race director can provide a safe triathlon experience with social distancing measures and enhanced safety measures and protocols put into place at an event.
“Here at iDaph Events, safety is our top priority,” says Race Director Daphne Kirkwood. “We want to ensure that our participants, staff and volunteers stay safe and healthy, and we are following all of the necessary precautions to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.”
Over the past few months iDaph Events has put together event safety plans for our event to move forward in a new format to ensure social distancing measures that are set forth by the CDC are adhered to.
“We will aim to have a ‘contactless’ event to provide a safe event for all!”
As a reminder, all athletes must follow the rules of the road while they are out on the bike and run portions of the course. The courses will allow for more space between participants when passing, and we will have time trial starts to encourage social distancing.
• We will provide face covering for staff/volunteers and officials.
• We will have increased Hand Sanitizer and increased hand washing stations, and we will continually wipe down frequently used surfaces.
• Temperature screenings will be performed upon arrival to the event on race day. Staff and volunteers required to have face coverings. Participants may be required to wear coverings until they start and after they finish, depending on the current NC guidelines.
• Time Trial Start: Participants start one at a time in the pool, spaced apart so there’s no contact, and in 30 minute waves in small group sizes that adhere to NC safety guidelines. Swimmers will be socially distanced at the start by having a pre-assigned wave start based on their swim time submitted during registration. There will be a limited number of participants allowed on the swim deck at one time based on event gathering restrictions in North Carolina on event day. Participants will be socially distanced by six feet while standing in line around the pool. Swimmers start by jumping into the deep section of the pool, swimming down the first lane, then under the swim lane into the next lane. They will continue to swim down each lane in one direction by zig-zagging through the pool. Swimmers will exit on the opposite side of the pool to run out to transition. We expect swimmers to start with a large enough gap of time so that there is no contact between swimmers.
• Transition will have a new twist this year! In order to maintain social distance, the transition will be at your vehicle. Before the event you will put your bike and run gear and equipment at your car. The exit and entrance for the bike part of the event will be at the same location at the parking lot. The run start will be at another side of the parking lot.
Sorry, no after party this year. After participants are finished they will grab a food box and leave the event site so that we can maintain social distancing measures. Awards will be mailed or can be picked up locally. Spectators are not allowed in the event village area, but we will have cheering sections along the bike routes where spectators will be allowed to gather and cheer on their friends and/or family members.
Packet Pick-up: Packet pickup is at Patton Park at the roundabout in front of the pool. Pickup will be drive thru style, 2-5pm on Saturday, July 18th. Registration must be done online at home. THERE IS NO ON-SITE REGISTRATION. There will be NO Packet pickup on Race day. You may have a friend or family member pick up your packet on Saturday if you aren’t able to make it. There is an option to mail bib and packets until July 1st.
Please bring your own water bottle and fuel items.
We will have more specific details for the event soon! Please look for updates on our Facebook Events page.
VIRTUAL OPTION AVAILABLE!
As we all know the pandemic changes things quickly! We ask that you be flexible and patient as we may have to adjust things for this event up until the event takes place. In the event that the U.S. or NC government, Hendersonville County or City of Hendersonville declares a new stay-at-home order or places new restrictions on gatherings and we are not able to have the in person event, all ‘in person’ triathlon event registrations will automatically be converted to the Virtual event. If it gets switched to a virtual event you will receive a $30 credit for the 2021 event, free transfer into the Virtual Event and your swag mailed.
GREAT FOR BEGINNERS AND ELITE ATHLETES!
NEW FOR 2020 - All participants will receive a finisher medal this year! Virtual participants will receive their swag + finisher medal in the mail after the race.
All registrations will include this super comfy, cotton-poly blend shirt. These are included in registration thru July 8th at midnight. (Available for $10 after that in limited sizes and quantities).
DEADLINE TO ORDER IS JULY 8TH AT MIDNIGHT!
TRI LOCAL TANKS
TRI LOCAL tank tops are back! Snag yours online during registration for $20. DEADLINE TO ORDER IS JULY 8TH AT MIDNIGHT!
VOLUNTEER FOR THE ASHEVILLE TRIATHLON
Volunteer with us!
To protect our participants and practice social distancing, we will not allow spectators in the village area. If you would like to sign up to help along the course as a volunteer or in event village, this will be a great way to support and cheer on your friends and family members! Please click the button for more details. All volunteers will get a super cool, iDaph Buff!
Donate a towel to WCRM
Please consider donating a towel
Have a towel you can donate? iDaph Events is collecting new or gently used towels for the Western Carolina Rescue Ministries. WCRM exists to serve the homeless, poor and addicted populations of Western North Carolina.
Towels will be collected at packet pick-up and race day. Please help us collect towels for this wonderful local organization!
I participated in my FIRST triathlon last weekend at your event.
I wanted to follow up and let you know that after conquering the nerves (which dos not happen until I actually entered the pool!) this race experience was fantastic!
The informational meeting the night before was helpful for my organizing brain. The morning activities flowed smoothly and everyone was friendly and encouraging.
Thank you for putting on this incredible event and helping my first tri experience be positive! It was an amazing morning and crossing that finish line was exhilarating!
Find all Scheduled Pre, Post, and Race Day Events Here
DEADLINE TO RESERVE A RACE TEE!
Wednesday, July 8, 2020, midnight
PACKET PICK-UP & REGISTRATION
Saturday, July 18th 2-5pm
Packet pickup is at Patton Park at the roundabout in front of the pool. Pickup will be drive thru style, 2-5pm on Saturday, July 18th. Registration must be done online at home. THERE IS NO ON-SITE REGISTRATION. There will be NO Packet pickup on Race day. You may have a friend or family member pick up your packet on Saturday if you aren’t able to make it. There is an option to mail bib and packets until July 1st.