Black Bear Half Marathon
Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021
Hendersonville, North Carolina
ONLINE REGISTRATION OPENS ON MONDAY, FEBRUARY 22, 2021 at 3pm!
Permits have been approved by the City of Hendersonville and Jackson Park for the 2021 race!
The 2nd Annual Black Bear Half Marathon presented by Hunter Subaru is an in-person, half marathon running event happening near Asheville in Hendersonville, NC on Saturday, Oct. 9, 2021. There is also a Virtual Half Marathon running option for runners not able to attend the in-person event.
The Black Bear Half will take place in Hendersonville, NC, and offers a scenic, spectator friendly, mostly flat course along the Oklawaha Greenway. With less than 400 feet of elevation gain and a socially distanced race, you don’t want to miss this IN-PERSON, half marathon running race this fall in Western North Carolina.
The 2021 in person half marathon race will be limited in participant capacity. In order to provide a safe and fun experience, runners will sign-up for a wave start when registering online.
Support small, local and regional running events where you can have an amazing, world-class running experience!
What runners have said about the 2020 Black Bear Half Marathon
“I absolutely loved the Black Bear Half Marathon! I received my medal in the mail and it is adorable, definitely one of my favorites! And the t-shirt is super soft, love it! Thank you so much for putting on this event!” ~ Jill Hopper Cedar Rapids, Iowa
“I found the Black Bear Half Marathon to be an inspiring experience that brought people together with a wonderful positive energy. It was refreshing and uplifting. Thanks to all who put the time and energy into organizing the event. And thanks for the black bear print! It’s a lovely and thoughtful “medal”. Appreciation for that as well. It was a fun experience to be a part of and I’m looking forward to some of your future races”. ~ Dan Johnson
“I can’t say enough good things about this race. The course was great, so great that I slowed down to enjoy it more. The volunteers were fantastic! They really helped by cheering and encouraging the runners. I can’t wait to run this race again next year! It is definitely on my annual race calendar. As long as you all are having the race, I will be there!” - Heather Hunter
“Loved the course, well done.” ~ Carole S
“SLOTHLY, SOGGY, but gloriously LIVE” - Jenni Rom
“I always love Idaph events. The half at the Biltmore is my favorite. You guys are top notch!” ~ Anna Parker.
Start Times: Rolling wave beginning at 8:00am.
Runners must sign up for a wave start time when registering. We highly encourage runners that plan to finish under 1hr and 40 minutes to start in Waves 1, 2 or 3.
Race is capped with limited spots available.
Course cut-off is 1:30pm.
Course Type: Paved Road & Greenway Loop
Stroller friendly? Yes
Dogs allowed? No
Virtual Half Marathon
Not able to participate in-person? Join the fun by running the half marathon virtually.
What is included with your race entry:
Free long-sleeve T-shirt deadline:
Deadline: September 19th at midnight
RUN 13.1 x 3
We are thrilled to launch the new 13.1 x 3 series for 2021, the Appalachian Trilogy! Sign up for the Asheville Half Marathon (March 20), Jump off Rock Half Marathon (May 8) & Black Bear Half Marathon (Oct. 9), and receive a gorgeous gold commemorative, Appalachian Trilogy medal. We will also have some super, cool swag to go along with this new challenge to keep you motivated to train all year long! Sign up HERE!
Our events look different this year, and will for a long time. Here’s what we are doing to adhere to North Carolina’s COVID-19 guidelines and maintain social distancing.
Our events look different this year, and will for a long time. Here’s what we are doing to adhere to North Carolina’s COVID-19 guidelines and maintain social distancing.
The Black Bear Half is 13.1 miles of mostly flat and paved path that runs along the beautiful Oklahawa Greenway in Hendersonville, North Carolina. With approximately 400 feet of elevation gain, road runners will LOVE this course that starts and ends at the beautiful, Jackson Park in Hendersonville, NC. The route starts at Jackson Park and runs by the Historic Train Depot, through the Revitalized Historic 7th Avenue District to the Oklawaha Greenway and back to the park. The course is an out-and-back, lollipop course with two stocked, water stations that will be utilized multiple times during the race. Runners will complete a portion of the Greenway loop twice making it very spectator friendly and exciting! CLICK HERE FOR GPS ROUTE!
Check out our Course Preview
Black Bear Half Marathon Hub Map
We will provide refreshments along the course, but do encourage you to bring your own fuel, nutrition and refreshments so that you can stay socially-distanced throughout the entire event. Gatorade, Water, Energy Gels and CLIF Bars will be provided. Due to COVID-19 we are unable to provide fruit and unpackaged food at the water station. Each water station will have portajons with hand sanitizer nearby. Check course map for exact locations.
Water Station #1 – 7th Avenue/Greenway (utilized 3x - mile 1.5, 6.5 and 12)
Water Station #2 - Balfour Rd/Greenway (utilized 4x - mile 4, 4.3, 9, 9.3)
This half marathon, multi-looped Greenway course has been designed with your family and friends in mind! We have several spots along the course that we have designated cheer stations. Costumes, fun signs and lots of great energy and encouragement is a must! Limited parking is available at these spots. All spectators are required to social distance and wear a face covering. Check course map for exact locations.
Cheer Station #1 – 7th Avenue/Greenway (mile 1.5, 6.5 and 12)
Cheer Station #2 - Balfour Rd/Greenway (mile 4, 4.3, 9, 9.3)
Cheer Station #3 - Berkeley Rd/Greenway (mile 3 1/2, 5, 8 1/2 and 10)
Rules for the Black Bear Half
• All participants are expected to display courteous, professional behavior at all times.
• No rollerblades allowed.
• Please be courteous to other foot traffic on the course.
• No alcohol is allowed at the park.
FLEET FEET TRAINING PROGRAM
WANT TO TAKE YOUR HALF TO THE NEXT LEVEL OR HAVE YOU EVER THOUGHT OF GETTING A RUNNING COACH?
FLEET FEET HAS THE PERFECT OPPORTUNITY!
Join their 12 week training program! We’ll have warm-ups all together, then all runners will be with a coach or mentor for the duration of the workout. All paces welcome! We will meet twice a week: Thursday Evenings for speed/strength (hill workouts, track workouts, etc) and Saturday Morning long runs with aid provided!
AND YOU GET SWAG + IN STORE DISCOUNTS!
SUPER AWESOME SWAG
Run a half marathon on your own time! Virtual participants will have access to the course information for the event so they can have a ‘self-serve’ event experience on the same courses as the in-person runners. Or, they can come up with their own course anywhere! Virtual participants get to challenge themselves by participating and having a goal to work towards.
Virtual Event Highlights:
• All Virtual participants will receive a free long-sleeve shirt and super-cool finisher medal which will be mailed to you.
• Participants in the virtual event can make multiple attempts to improve your half marathon time! Results must be submitted via Race Roster online and are due online by midnight on race day 10/10/2021.
• Top overall male and female winners of the virtual event will receive a prize!
FINISH LINE ACTIVITIES
ASHEVILLE PERSONAL TRAINING RECOVERY ZONE
APT will be sponsoring a recovery zone at the finish line!
Pickup will be drive-thru style on Friday, October 8th at Jackson Park at Shelter 1 from 2-5pm. Please stay in your car during the packet pickup process (just like you would at a drive-thru restaurant).
Registration must be done online at home. There is no on-site registration.
There will be NO Packet pickup on Race day. You may have a friend or family member pick up your packet on Friday if you aren’t able to make it.
Want to skip the Packet Pickup? Easy-peasy, you can have your packet mailed to you for a small fee if you register by September 19th at midnight!
IN-PERSON EVENT AWARDS
- Fleet Feet Asheville will also provide Gift Certificates to the overall and masters winners.
Top three Overall (male and female)
Top Masters Overall (male and female)
Age group awards (overall male and female for each category)
12 and under
13 - 19
20 - 29
30 - 39
40 - 49
50 - 59
60 - 69
70 - 79
We will not have an on-site awards ceremony at the event due to COVID19 event gathering restrictions. Prizes and Awards can be picked up the week after the event at Fleet Feet Asheville or shipped for $10.
VIRTUAL EVENT AWARDS
The top overall male and female finishers in the Virtual Event will also receive a top-finisher prize (tbd)!
To encourage social distancing, our awards ceremony will take place via Zoom the week after the event.
When you complete the Black Bear Half, your race bib is good for:
RUNNING FOR A GOOD CAUSE
Donations from this race will benefit the Jackson Park/Henderson County Parks and Recreation greenway flood fund, and Friends of Oklahawa Greenway. Friends of Oklahawa Greenway will be manning the water stations along the course so please be sure to thank them for their support!
ABOUT THE OKLAWAHA GREENWAY
Hendersonville’s 3.5 mile Oklawaha Greenway winds through wetlands, meadows and forests to connect four parks. It takes its name from a Cherokee word meaning “slowly moving muddy waters” because much of the Greenway runs along Mud Creek, a key part of the Henderson County watershed. The Audubon Society recently named the Greenway as a birding “hot spot” because of the wide variety of birds it attracts. Wildflowers, native trees and small mammals abound. The fully paved Greenway is a five-minute drive from downtown Hendersonville and easily accessible from five convenient parking areas.
THINGS TO DO IN HENDERSONVILLE
Hendersonville Farmers Market
The Hendersonville Farmers Market will be happening the day of the Black Bear Half Marathon! This is a world-class market that contributes to the success of local producers and growers, expands access to farm-fresh foods, and creates a vibrant community gathering space. With fresh produce, meats, baked goods, crafts, live entertainment, food trucks, and more, it’ll be a weekly outing with something for everybody.
The Hendersonville Farmers Market is located at the Historic Train Depot (650 Maple Street) in downtown Hendersonville’s Seventh Avenue District.
Time: Saturdays, 8:00 a.m. until 1:00 p.m.
For more information visit https://www.hendersonvillenc.gov/events/hendersonville-farmers-market.
Looking for something to do in Hendersonville? Escape from life’s hectic pace to the beautiful scenery and southern hospitality of Hendersonville, NC with varied Attractions, Events, Outdoor Recreation, Family Activities, a vibrant Art Scene, unique shopping and a wide selection of Dining Options. Sierra Nevada along with Henderson County’s other Wineries, Breweries, and Cideries provide tours and tasting rooms, to sample mountain grown selections. Make memories in this charming mountain town.
Check out the following links for more information:
Accommodations / https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/business-categories/lodging
Attractions / https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/attractions
Outdoor Recreation / https://www.visithendersonvillenc.org/business-categories/outdoor-adventures
DIRECTIONS AND PARKING
Jackson Park is located at the southeastern city limits of Hendersonville. An entrance gate is at the end of Fourth Avenue East. The Glover Street entrance is accessible by turning onto Glover Street from US 176 (Spartanburg Hwy).
There is ample parking at Jackson Park in Hendersonville, NC for participants. The address for Jackson Park is 640 Glover Street, Hendersonville, NC 28792. The park is located in the heart of downtown Hendersonville and is approximately 15 miles outside of Asheville, North Carolina. Please note, due to the wave starts throughout the morning, there will be foot-traffic on the paved roads in and out of the park. Please drive slow and with caution when arriving and leaving the park.
In order to keep spectators and gathering at a minimum in the park, and for your friends and family to have the best experience watching you race, we highly encourage that they visit the cheer zones on the course.
To encourage social distancing and to avoid groups gathering at the start and finish line, your friends and family members are invited to go out on the courses in our socially-distanced, designated cheer zones. Each cheer location has the opportunity to see your family/friend 2x! We ask that EVERYONE in the CHEER zone please stay socially distanced and wear a face-covering! Maps for each cheer zone are posted on the Event Guide and emailed to all participants prior to the event.
– North Main and Oklawaha Greenway - Mile .5 & Mile 12
– Berkeley Road and Greenway – Mile 1 & Mile 11 1/2
– Balfour Road and Greenway - Mile 2 & Mile 11
– 7th Avenue and Greenway – Mile 1.3
COVID-19: WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- Event is capped with limited participation and with wave starts. This is not a mass start race.
- These wave starts will be determined by the guidance from NC on event gatherings.
- Temperature checks will be conducted prior to the start of the race by PT Solutions.
- For complete list of COVID guidelines for our events visit HERE.
- We highly encourage you to bring your own hydration water bottle and nutrition. However, we will have 2 water stations with 4 opportunities to stop for fuel - serving - water, Gatorade, Gels, Granola Bar
- All finishers will receive a Commemorative Finisher Medal!
- Online registration will close at the conclusion of packet pickup on Friday - make sure to sign up before then!
- Designated Social-Distanced Cheer Stations along the course!
- No walk-up registration on race day.
- Coordinated social distancing at the start line.
- All staff/volunteers will be required to wear a face-covering during the event.
- Participants are required to wear a face-covering until the event starts and then put it back on after they are finished running/walking in the event.
- Unfortunately, with social distancing measures in place, we will not have a finish line ‘experience’ of music, hanging out and waiting on the results or an awards ceremony. After you are finished with your race, we ask that you grab your food box and drink and head out of the venue area.
- Awards will be available to be picked up locally or mailed after the event.
- Event Swag can either be picked up locally the day before the event (at packet pickup), or mailed to you for $10 if you sign up by September 19th at midnight. After that, you’re only option will be to attend the PPU session the day before the race.
- All virtual event registration includes swag that will be mailed to you for free (shirt and medal).
- The online results will be posted by noon the next day after the event.
- Other changes will be added and communicated to participants prior to the event.
- We are not allowing registrants under the age of 15 unless they have completed a half marathon race previously. If you have someone under the age of 15 please email email@example.com with any questions.
- As we all know the pandemic changes things quickly! We ask that you be flexible and patient as we may have to adjust things for this event up until the event takes place. Please know we are doing our absolute best and want this event to happen as much as you do! In the event that the U.S. or NC government, Henderson County or City of Hendersonville declares a new stay-at-home order or places new restrictions on gatherings and we are not able to have the in-person event, all ‘in-person’ event registrations will automatically be converted to the Virtual event.
DEFERRALS, TRANSFERS AND CANCELATION POLICIES
Above all else, we are striving to make this event as safe as it can possibly be for all our participants, volunteers, and staff. If you’re feeling unwell (or uncomfortable participating), we want you to be able to stay home, stay safe, and join us next year without feeling like you’re losing out. In order to make that happen, we are offering flexible options so participants can make responsible decisions based on their health.
Here are our options for registered participants who can’t make it to the race:
DEFERRALS: Anyone can defer their entry to the 2022 event at any point before midnight on Sunday, September 19th. There is a $20 deferral processing fee. To complete your deferral, select the option from our race store. Any requests after this date and time will not be able to be honored. If you choose this option you would be withdrawing from the event and would not be able to receive your swag or finisher medal.
SWITCH REGISTRATION FROM IN-PERSON TO VIRTUAL: You can transfer your in-person registration to a virtual registration for free at any point before the race. If you select this option, we will mail your shirt and medal to you (i.e. we will not have your materials at packet pickup).
REFUNDS: Refunds are not offered for this event. If the in-person event has to be cancelled, all participants will be transferred to the virtual event.
CANCELLATION: As we all know the pandemic changes things quickly! In the event that the U.S. or NC government, Hendersonville County or City of Hendersonville declares a new stay-at-home order or places new restrictions on gatherings and we are not able to have the in person event, all ‘in person’ event registrations will automatically be converted to the Virtual event. If you are switched to a virtual event, you will receive a partial credit for the 2022 event and your swag mailed for free.