Sunday, June 12, 2022
Run Downtown ASHEVILLE to the river!
The Inaugural RAD Half Marathon & 10k are fast, incredibly scenic races that start in the heart of Downtown Asheville, North Carolina. Both races whiz downhill to the River Arts District, and wind along the peaceful French Broad River. You’ll be greeted with a complimentary beer, a one-of-a-kind finisher medal, live music, and a free shuttle back to the start line after the race.
If you’re looking to soak in all the sights and sounds of Asheville while achieving a new PR, this is the race for you!
Course time limit is 10:30am.
Half Marathon starts at 7:00 am
10k starts at 7:00 am
Course Type: Point-to-Point, Downtown City Streets and Greenway. Mostly paved, a couple short sections of dirt paths.
Stroller friendly? No
Dogs allowed? No
Registration Periods & Pricing
Super Early Registration - Nov 2 - January 30
Early Registration - January 31 - March 27
Regular Registration - March 28- Sunday, June 5
Late Registration - June 6, 2022 to race day
For runners not able to attend in person, the virtual race is a good option to achieve a goal, and run the miles on your own, wherever and whenever you want. All virtual runners will receive a commemorative race shirt and finisher medal.
Transfers during the week of the event will cost $10 (starting Monday, June 6th).
What is included with your race entry:
- A first-class running experience in early summer in Western North Carolina!
- Super cozy, cotton-poly blend race shirt
- Goody Bag filled with goodies
- A one-of-a-kind, custom-designed, commemorative finisher medal that spins!
- A complimentary beer from the Wedge at Foundation at the finish line.
- Scenic, fast, downhill to mostly flat courses exploring Downtown, the Greenways and the River Arts District in Asheville, NC.
- Course fully-marked with route signs and course markings on the road.
- Course preview video and course maps to get you prepped for race day.
- Chip-timing for accurate, live results
- Access to our community of runners in our Strava Group.
- Spectator friendly courses.
- One-of-a-kind Prizes made locally
- Live Music at the finish from the Dryman Mountain Boys
- Free bag drop at the start line (transported to the finish line for post-race pickup). Including an awesome, ‘back-pack’ style, RAD drawstring bag (to be used for bag drop).
- Complimentary shuttle from finish line back to Pack Square park (start area) after the race.
- Skip packet pickup, sign up to have your swag shipped. Ability to have your race number, bag and shirt shipped before the race. Pick this option during online registration.
SUPER AWESOME SWAG
SHIP MY SWAG
Ship your swag! Have your shirt, number and bag shipped to you before the race for $10.
Deadline for this option is May 29th at midnight.
- Free T-shirt deadline is May 15 at midnight to guarantee your shirt size.
- From May 16 - June 5th at midnight, shirts are still available for free, but shirt sizes may be limited and cannot be guaranteed.
- June 6 - Race day - $10 additional for shirt, limited sizes and quantities available.
- Ship your swag! Have your shirt, number and bag shipped to you before the race for $10. Deadline for this option is May 29th at midnight.
Eligible 2022 Races:
• Asheville Marathon and Half Marathon at Biltmore Estate – Saturday, March 19 OR Sunday, March 20 (two dates to choose from, can pick Marathon* or Half)
• Jump off Rock Half Marathon, Hendersonville, NC – Saturday, May 14, 2022
• RAD (River Arts District) HALF Marathon, Asheville, NC! Sunday, June 12, 2022
• Black Bear Half Marathon, Hendersonville, NC – Saturday, October 8, 2022 - registration opening soon!
*Note you can run the Asheville Marathon at Biltmore Estate in place of the Half Marathon.
- The deadline to be registered for at least 3 of the races is July 10th at midnight so we have time to order the medals.
- Medals will be given out at the 2022 Black Bear Half Marathon event. If you can’t make it to that event, medals will be available for local pickup at Fleet Feet Asheville or shipped to you for $10.
- There are 200 spots available for the 2022 Trilogy.
The brand new RAD Half Marathon & 10K run through the best parts of the City of Asheville, North Carolina. Including downtown city streets, River Arts District, along the French Broad River, and through the park for this city-style, point-to-point race. These fast races are a dream come true for runners looking to get a personal best in the mountains of Western North Carolina. The majority of the miles are downhill from downtown and ‘flat’ running along the river on the greenway and through the city parks. Endurance runners will have an opportunity to ‘break in’ the brand new section of the newly completed greenway section of the French Broad River Greenway on Riverside Drive and Lyman Street. Runners are on mostly paved surfaces throughout the entire event with a few dirt sections within the French Broad River Park.
We could be wrong… but we believe that this course has to be one of the fastest, flattest half marathon races to ever exist in the notoriously hilly downtown Asheville area. Both courses have a net elevation LOSS! Check out the course maps above for the elevation charts for each race.
Start: Pack Square Park
Finish: Wedge at Foundation
On the Course: River Arts District Public Restrooms, Carrier Park Portajon (near the Picnic Shelter and water stations), Hominy Creek River Park Portajon (in parking area), Carrier Park Restrooms (near the Vellondrome), and French Broad River Park Restrooms
These races have been designed with your family and friends in mind, they are spectator friendly! We encourage spectators to wear fun costumes, bring quirky signs and lots of energy and enthusiasm.
There are soo many great areas to spread out and safely watch the race. Here are several suggestions:
- Asheville Riverfront Parks - multiple large parking lots and areas and street parking available, here are some of the locations on the new Greenway and on the course:
NC Wildlife Resources Commission (this is the start of the new Greenway)
Jean Webb Park
Wedge at Foundation, 12 Bones and Summit Coffee - great spot to get yummy treats while you cheer on your friends!
RiverLink Karen Cragnolian Park
Near Carrier Park Shelter
Amboy Road/Mellowdrome parking area
French Broad River Park
• All participants are expected to display courteous, professional behavior at all times.
• No rollerblades allowed.
• Due to the nature of the races, please do not start either race early. Starting earlier, throws off the police, volunteers and all the race timing for the entire event. Any runners that choose not to abide by this rule will be DQd from the event.
• Runners must run facing traffic on roads that do not have sidewalks. If there are sidewalks available, runners need to utilize the sidewalks.
• Please be courteous to other foot traffic along the route especially running on the Greenway and through the parks.
The virtual events are a great option to train for and compete in from wherever you like! You can run your races from anywhere in the world, and submit your results (with a screenshot of your activity) to our official standings.
Deadline for submitting virtual results, to be eligible for awards: Sunday, June 12 at midnight
- Every virtual participant will receive their shirt and finisher medal in the mail FOR FREE!
- All race swag will be shipped after the in-person race.
- Awards will be given to the top male and female finishers in the virtual half marathon.
For instructions on how to transfer your registration into the virtual event, CLICK HERE. Transfers during the week of the event will cost $10 (starting Monday, June 6th)
Be sure to read the entire interactive Event Guide and listen to the Pre-Event Podcast to be prepared for race weekend! It will answer ALL of your questions for the weekend!
TRANSPORTATION & PARKING
This is a point-to-point style race, starting at Pack Square Park and ending at Wedge at Foundation (Foundy St location).
There is a bag drop (using only approved RAD Half Marathon & 10K ‘back-pack’ drawstring bags given out at Packet Pickup) at the start line, The bags will be brought from the race start to the finish line during the race and can be picked up by participants after the race.
After the race, take a free participant shuttle from the Wedge at Foundation back to Pack Square Park in Downtown Asheville, NC. There is also plenty of parking at the Wedge, so participants can always be picked up by a friend or family member after the race and be driven back downtown. You can also drop a car off at the Wedge beforehand and carpool to the start.
Parking garages and street parking are available near the start/finish area in Pack Square Park, downtown Asheville. Participants can park in any of the available parking decks in downtown and will have a short walk to the start line. Click here for a list of all available parking locations in downtown AVL.
Closest parking garages to the start area at Pack Square Park, Downtown Asheville:
- College Street
Race Start line: Pack Square Park in Downtown Asheville - 80 Court Plaza, Asheville, NC 28801
Finish: The Wedge at Foundation on Foundy Street in the River Arts District
Don’t forget! You can choose to have your shirt and bib to you before the race for $10. This option is available up until May 29th at midnight either during registration or from the race store.
Pre-event Packet Pickup:
- Date/time is TBD
Race-day Packet Pickup:
- Sunday, June 12th // 5:45 - 6:30 AM
- Pack Square Park (80 Court Plaza, Asheville, NC 28801)
IN-PERSON EVENT AWARDS (Half Marathon & 10k)
- Special prizes for Overall and Age Group Winners
- Gift Certificates to the overall and masters winners.
- Run YOUR Fastest 10k! New for 2022, cash prizes for the overall top three male and female winners of the 10k!
- 1st place - $100
- 2nd place - $75
- 3rd place - $50
- Not a super speedy runner? Don’t fret! we will also give out TWO cash prizes ($50 each) for random ‘in the pack’ 10k finishers. Must be present at the awards ceremony to accept your cash prize!
- Top three finishers, Overall (male and female)
- Top overall 1st place finishers, Masters (male and female)
- Age group awards (top three overall male and female for each)
- 12 and under, 13-19, 20 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 - 49, 50 - 59, 60 - 69, 70 - 79, 80 and up
- We will have an on-site awards ceremony at the event near the finish line for both races. Prizes and Awards can also be picked up the week after the event at Fleet Feet Asheville or shipped for $10 (if you don’t want to hang out at the finish line).
VIRTUAL EVENT AWARDS (Half Marathon & 10k)
- Overall male and female finishers in each virtual event will also receive a prize.
RUN FOR A CAUSE
We’re about hope, not heartache. As Buncombe County’s critical safety net since 1984, we are always here to save and protect every animal. We have mastered the art of saving lives within our walls and now we are going even further, helping our community’s pets and their people thrive together. We are going beyond a no-kill community to ensure that each animal has the quality of life they deserve – a life worth living.
We are collecting donations for the Asheville Humane Society during registration.
THINGS TO DO
Foundy Street is a collective of variously talented misfits who came together into a central location of abandoned property that had been home to Asheville’s underground gala. We cleaned up and turned the lights back on, and invited our friends to call the space home to their studios, passions and crafts. Today, Foundy Street is home to Asheville’s River Arts District central community, filled with an abundance of things to do.
Our Post Race Party will be at the Wedge at the Foundation!
THE GREAT OUTDOORS
Outstanding scenery and recreational opportunities make the Blue Ridge Parkway one of the most popular sections of the National Park System. Named “America’s Favorite Drive,” the 469-mile scenic road, offers stunning vistas, hiking and cycling opportunities. Split-rail fences, old farmsteads, mountain meadows and scenic overlooks with endless vistas make the Blue Ridge Parkway a popular attraction. The Parkway incorporates numerous campgrounds, picnic areas and trails.
Looking Glass Rock, less than an hour from Asheville, is probably the best-known rock climbing area in the state. It offers friction and face climbing of a 500-foot rocky face mountain. No permit required.
There are a few places in the world that still stand apart from the ordinary. Rising more than a mile high, Mount Mitchell State Park is one of these extraordinary places. In the crest of the Black Mountains lies the summit of Mount Mitchell, the highest point east of the Mississippi.
There is plenty to explore at Biltmore Estate! Take a tour of the House, stroll through the gardens, explore the trails, hang out in Antler Hill Village, or even check out the winery for a wine tasting.
Historic Biltmore Village today is truly one of the South’s most unique touring and shopping environments. Because of its history, its range of unique independent, locally-owned retailers, and its fine restaurants, Historic Biltmore Village has an international reputation.
Asheville’s Grove Arcade offers boutique shopping, unique dining and regional crafts in a downtown architectural wonder. The building is open daily and features an outdoor portico market. A downloadable building tour is available on the website. Each of these offers a uniquely Asheville experience.
There are several art districts in Asheville, and each provides visitors with richly diverse experiences. In the Downtown Asheville Art District, for example, more than 20 galleries within easy walking distance of one another feature a wide variety of fine art and studio crafts created by local, regional, national and international artists. The River Arts District, filled with dozens of working art studios, is one of Asheville’s unique arts neighborhoods. Asheville’s performing arts alliance also thrives.
The Asheville Urban Trail has often been called Asheville’s “museum without walls.” Started by a small group of citizens interested in helping revitalize downtown, the Urban Trail consists of thirty stations of bronze sculpture around downtown. Each station has a plaque illuminating some of the very interesting history of downtown’s development and the various notable people who once lived here. Mostly local artists helped to create the whimsical bronze sculptures and other art works that are found at each station. The tour is a 1.7 mile walk that begins and ends at Pack Place and takes about two hours to complete in its entirety.
transfer, CANCELLATION & refund Policies
Above all else, we are striving to make this event as safe as it can possibly be for all our participants, volunteers, and staff. If you’re feeling unwell (or uncomfortable participating), we want you to be able to stay home and join us next year without feeling like you’re losing out. In order to make that happen, we are allowing everyone to transfer their registration to the virtual event at any point before the start of the race. In the virtual event, you’ll run anywhere you like, post your results, and have your swag mailed to you after the event. Transfers during the week of the event will cost $10 (starting Monday, June 6th)
REFUNDS: We have a small, but mighty team that is working on all the details to produce this event safe for you and everyone in our community in attendance. We are incurring the expenses for production well before the day of the event, and we will not be able to provide a refund to you should you want to cancel your registration, or if the event itself has to be cancelled due to the pandemic, weather, or an act of god.
TRANSFERS: All participants can transfer into the virtual version of their event up until the day of the event. Email email@example.com for instructions on how to transfer. There will be no refunds for the price difference between events. Transfers during the week of the event will cost $10 (starting Monday, June 6th)
CANCELLATION: As we all know the pandemic changes things quickly! We ask that you be flexible and patient as we may have to adjust things for this event up until the event takes place. In the event that the U.S. or NC government declares a new stay-at-home order or places new restrictions on gatherings and we are not able to have the in person event, all in-person event registrations will automatically be converted to the virtual event. If it gets switched to a virtual event, you will have your swag mailed to you for free.